So, this Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice is the culmination of having lots of odds and ends (like one single solitary kale leaf) in my fridge and not enough energy in my body to come up with anything else for dinner. I remember, when I went paleo for a little bit (it was a very bad decision, guys, don’t recommend it), my meals consisted of a daily dump (wow, bad imagery, but so appropriate) of random meats into a big pan, together with whatever veggies I had on hand. While it didn’t always taste that great and left my stomach feeling even worse, it was easy and somewhat thoughtless. Funny enough, I think some of the most popular Korean recipes are those that were derived by people who simply didn’t know how to, or didn’t have adequate brain power, to cook.
You see, every Korean kitchen will have rice and kimchi. Start with those two things, and you’re like 90% there. Then just add in oil and every vegetable known to man in your fridge, and you’re done. Basically, that’s how I came up with this Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice.
Where’s the egg? Well, go ahead and add your favorite egg replacer in there, but honestly, I made this Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice last night with like 50 ppl on Chibo, and none of them missed the egg. My husband—who gobbled up about 80% of it before I could get in a spoonful—certainly didn’t miss no eggs. So, do yourself a favor. Make this Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice and find out what all the fuss is about!
Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice
- 2 + 1 tbsps vegetable oil
- 3 cups day old/cooled rice
- 1/4 medium onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup kimchi (chopped)
- 1 whole carrot (diced)
- 1/2 head broccoli (chopped)
- 3-4 shiitake mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 small Yukon gold potato (diced)
- 2 Leaves kale (julienned)
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp gochujang*
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- optional garnish: roasted nori strips
- Begin preparing kimchi fried rice by mixing sauce—2 tbsp gochujang, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp maple syrup.
- Add 2 tbsp vegetable oil to a very large pan over highest heat setting.
- When oil begins to shimmer, add 1 cups of day old or cooled rice. Do not crowd the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fry rice in oil until it starts to toast and remove and set aside. Repeat with remaining rice.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil. Sautee all veggies, including kimchi. Season with a little salt.
- When veggies start to brown, add sauce and stir until all veggies are coated.
- Add back fried rice and mix until fully incorporated. Turn off the heat and add 1 tsp sesame oil for shine.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and roasted nori.
- Snip a little green onion over the top of both the kimchi fried rice.