Sweet bananas and dark chocolate make the perfect combination for breakfast, snack time, or any time with these vegan banana chocolate chunk muffins.
Everyone is all about banana bread these days, but I’ve always preferred banana muffins, which is why I busted out these Vegan Banana Chocolate Chunk Muffins the other day. The problem with banana bread (you can find a killer recipe here) is that before you know it, you’ve eaten half a loaf, which inevitably leads to food guilt. No one’s got time for food guilt. These muffins, however, are easy to divvy up—you eat one (maybe two) and then save the rest of them for breakfast the following morning. This recipe is only enough for 4-6 large muffins, which means you won’t have leftovers tempting you for the rest of the week. The other massive disadvantage to banana bread is that it takes about twice as long to bake in the oven as muffins do. Bummer.
Now why chocolate chunk? Is there a more dynamic duo in the food world than chocolate and bananas? I don’t think so. Have you ever had a chocolate and banana milk shake? It is truly the elixir of the gods. I also like to use chunks—not chips—of dark chocolate. I don’t know, there’s something about the uniformity of chocolate chips that just annoys me. I very rarely use them (perhaps in pancakes, because they’re so thin) as it’s always more delicious (in my view) to break up a brick of my favorite chocolate. I also feel like my muffins look more “sophisticate” that way!
So, if you’re in the mood for banana bread but don’t want to wait that long for it, try these Vegan Banana Chocolate Chunk Muffins. You won’t regret it!
Vegan Banana Chocolate Chunk Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour sub gluten free flour for a gluten free option
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large bananas very ripe
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup vegan sour cream can use plant based milk
- 1/8 cup plant based milk
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips/chunks
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small cup, mix together plant milk and vinegar and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add bananas, butter, sour cream, plant milk + vinegar mixture, and vanilla extract and cream together using an electric hand mixer.
- In a separate bowl, add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and chocolate chips/chunks, and then sift in flour.
- Incorporate wet ingredients into dry ingredients using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Make sure to get underneath the batter to check that all dry mixture has been made wet, but DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Scoop batter into lined muffin tray (I got 5 jumbo muffins out of this) and place in oven for up to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° F and cook for an additional 18 minutes (more like 12 mins if smaller muffins), until muffins bounce back when pressed.