This Easy Focaccia Bread recipe is one that I make almost once a week. And now that we are all discovering the bread baker in us (I must admit, this was not something I saw coming as a response to COVID19), this Easy Focaccia Bread is how you prove to everyone just how good you got when dinner parties resume.
I made this once for a group of friends—one of whom is a cookbook author and wildly successful foodblogger—and she remarked, “This is the bread focaccia I have ever had in my life. Could you share the recipe?” Not going to like, I thought about saying “no—MINE MINE MINE” for like 3.7 seconds! But, tbh, there’s nothing really proprietary about this recipe.
It’s simple and relies, heavily, on the quality of your ingredients. Don’t skimp on the garlic or the extra virgin olive oil—use the good stuff, because it makes a difference. Otherwise, give this Easy Focaccia Bread recipe a shot as so many already have—you will NOT regret it!
Other Breads To Try
Easy Focaccia Bread
- 2 1/2 cups flour 350 g
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning optional
- 3-7 cloves garlic minced, optional
- 1 Tablespon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup plus 1/4 cup cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add yeast and sugar to warm water and set aside.
- In the meantime, mix together flour, salt, Italian seasoning, and garlic in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.,
- When the yeast mixture starts to foam, add to flour mixture and stir together using a spoon or chopstick (that’s me!) until dough starts to form. If it’s too sticky to work with, add 1 tbsp flour at a time until it becomes just tacky. If it’s too dry, slowly add 1 tsp of water at a time until all the flour becomes part of the dough.
- Knead the dough with your hands for about 5-7 mins. [You can also use a stand mixer with a hook attachment and knead for about 5 minutes.]. Create a smooth ball of dough and place in a covered bowl in a warm space (~78° F) for about 1 hour or until the dough ball doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large pan (9-10”) or a deep baking sheet or a standard brownie pan, add 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil. Place the dough into pan and using your fingers, spread the dough out until it reaches the edge of the pan.
- Flip the dough and repeat, creating dimples with your fingers. Sprinkle with course sea salt and cover until your oven is preheated. Place in the center rack of the oven and bake for approximately 28 minutes or until the top is golden brown.