It’s been very cold and very busy in my household these days. This means I’m usually dead tired by the time dinner rolls around and I don’t want to spend a lot of time chopping and prepping vegetables. In these situations, my favorite thing in the world is making fried rice. It’s so easy, takes so much guesswork out of cooking, and your friendly frozen vegetables become a LIFELINE to a home-cooked meal that you can be proud of (while stuffing your face).
Instead of using a knife, I use kitchen shears to cut up my kimchi into bite-sized pieces. Kitchen shears are a main-stay in Korean kitchens. Korean ahjuhmahs use them for cutting up kimchi (as pictured), scallions (as we do in this recipe), and overlong noodles that are not easily slurpable. I once got a nasty comment on my Instagram about using kitchen shears to cut up my pajeon and it was clear the person was not very familiar with Korean dining etiquette (her loss).
The sauce is also a no brainer. Literally two ingredients: soy sauce and gochujang. You can keep this entire recipe gluten free by using gluten free soy sauce and gluten free gochujang. I make it in advance so that I can add it at the end, without any fuss.
Anyhow, I made this earlier today and had to stop myself from eating the whole panful of it before I shared any with my husband it was so so so so good. It’s truly so easy there’s no excuse not to try!!
EZ No Chop Kimchi Fried Rice
- Using kitchen shears, cut up your kimchi (if you want).
- Make the sauce by mixing together gochujang and soy sauce.
- Add 1 tbsp of sesame oil and 1/2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil to a non-stick pan over medium high heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the kimchi. Cook for about 2 minutes, until kimchi starts to change color (gets lighter).
- Add frozen vegetables. Cook for about 1 minute. Then, create a well in the center of your cooked veggies and add the liquid egg replacer.
- Allow the egg to cook a little, and then begin to scramble them within the well.
- Incorporate the scrambled egg into the rest of your vegetables and cook for about 2 minutes (until the egg is cooked). Create another well in the center of your vegetables and add 1/2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Add 2 cups of cooked rice.
- Cook the rice in the well for about 1 minute. Then begin mixing together with the vegetables. Cook for about 1 additional minute. Then add sauce.
- Add scallion greens, sesame seeds, and sesame oil. Mix together before eating.