Cooking Time: 180 minutes
Recipe Difficulty: Easy
Servings Amount: 12
Recipe Lead: …for chili that will make you say WHUT?
- 2 cups broccoli (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion (diced)
- 1 1/2 cup shitake mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 1/2 large zucchini (diced)
- 1/2 cup over-ripe kimchi
- 1/2 large red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 can black beans + juice
- 1 can cannelloni beans
- 1 large sweet potato (chopped roughly)
- 1 box of extra firm tofu (cubed)
- 2 tbsp Korean chili powder*
- 2 tbsp gochujang**
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tbsp Ommas BBQ marinade^
- 1 box crushed tomatoes^^
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock
- Add sesame oil to large pot (I used a Calphalon dutch oven) over medium high eat. Add broccoli in one layer and add a little salt. Leave them along for at least 5 minutes, until the side touching the pan gets nice and charred. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add olive oil and add mushrooms. Cook down until they are 1/2 the size. Add onions and salt and cook down until they get slightly caramelized. Add garlic until softened.
- Begin incorporating all the other veggies: carrots, zucchini, bell peppers until they soften, seasoning with salt along the way. Add a little water if the veggies begin to stick to the bottom of the pan, and make sure to scrape up all the brown bits with a wooden spoon.
- Add kimchi and cook like you did all the other veggies (until it softens). Add back in the charred broccoli. Add Korean chili powder, gochujang, miso paste, and Korean BBQ marinade. Stir and coat all veggies evenly with sauce base.
- Add tomatoes and veggie stock. Scrape up the bottom of the pan with wooden spoon.
- Add beans, corn, sweet potatoes, and tofu. Season generously and bring to boil, before lowing to simmer.
- Simmer for 1-2 hours, until chili turns to the desired consistency.
- Try a spoonful and say “WHUT I JUST MADE THE BEST CHILI EVAR.”
*You can get Korean chili powder here.
**You can get my favorite vegan and gluten free gochujang here.
^You can get the recipe for Omma’s Korean BBQ marinade here.
^^You can get my preferred box of tomatoes here.