Remember when they said that vegans couldn’t have whipped cream? Well, I’d like to shove this STRAWBERRY HUMMINGBIRD SHORTCAKE WITH WHIPPED CREAM in their pie holes.
I made this for my mom for her birthday. I’ve associated birthday cakes with strawberries and whipped cream since I was a little girl. My mom would bring home a massive strawberry shortcake for my birthday, wrapped up in one of those old fashioned paperboard cake-boxes with a string wrapped around it, and I would get so excited, I’d practically pee in my pants.
So, try out this recipe. The cake is super easy and even the whipped cream is as simple as ABC.
Try not to pee in your pants, though.
Cooking Time: 105 minutes
Recipe Difficulty: Easy
Servings Amount: 12
Recipe Lead: The cake that makes you pee in your pants.
- 1/2 cup (50 g) chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cup (195 g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp aquafaba (chickpea brine)*
- 1/2 cup (80 ml) oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 8 oz can crushed pineapple (including juice)
- 1 cup (200 g) mashed bananas (~2 medium bananas)
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp bourbon
Whipped Cream & Strawberries
- 1 can coconut cream (not milk)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 20 strawberries
- Mix all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, salt, and pecans) together and stir with whisk.
- Mix all wet ingredients (bananas, pineapples, oil, aquafaba, vanilla, vinegar, bourbon) together until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with whisk.
- Pour into springform cake pan (6 inches with tall sides) lined with parchment paper and sprayed with oil.
- Bake in 350° F oven for approximately 50-60 minutes, until sides are pulling away from cake pan and toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, whip coconut cream with whisk attachment in stand mixer (you can also use hand mixer). Add sugar 1/4 cup at a time until you reach the desired consistency/sweetness.
- Once cake is fully cooked, let it cool for at least 2 hours. Then, cut the cake into two halves (lengthwise) and add whipped cream to the center. Add sliced strawberries and place second layer on top. Add more whipped cream to the top layer and place strawberries around the circumference.
- Don’t pee in your pants.
*You can find an alternative to chickpea brine for aquafaba, as well as all things aquafabulous, in the Facebook Group known as “Vegan Meringue – Hits and Misses!“