Cooking Time: 1483 minutes
Recipe Difficulty: Easy
Servings Amount: 8
Recipe Lead: …for when you want to impress a Korean person on their birthday…
- 2 sheets dashima* (dried kelp)
- 1 handful dried shiitake mushrooms
- 8 cups filtered water
- 2 cups dried seaweed** (not the same as dashima)
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp dry malt powder**
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8 cups dashi
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Place all ingredients together in an airtight container and leave overnight in the fridge.
- The following day, remove dashima and dried mushrooms and bring liquid to a boil. Once it cools enough to handle safely, pour liquid through a cheesecloth to remove any residual solids.
- Sauté mushrooms in sesame oil over medium high heat in a large soup pot (I used my Dutch oven) until they get nice and brown. Add garlic.
- Pour in dashi and add seaweed, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil and then let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in non-dairy for extra creaminess and garnish with more sesame oil. Serve with a bowl of rice and side of kimchi (a MUST).
- Wish your loved one a happy health birthday!