So, the big thing on TikTok now are pesto eggs. Basically, you cook the eggs in the oil that’s contained in the pesto. I like TikTok trends, even though many foodbloggers look down their nose at them. I think it’s fun to try out a new “hacks”–kinda like my take on the feta cheese pasta craze that took the internet by storm earlier this year. Sometimes, it’s easy to get stuck in a rut with what you’re eating–the same old food every single week, and it’s nice to spice things up with what all the kids are eating! Besides, I always put my little spin on things to keep things interesting.
So, like most sandwiches, this sandwich starts with thick slices of bread. I’m using whole wheat bread here. You can use whatever bread you like, but I do recommend making them rather thick slices. The “eggs” are going to be stuffed with a ton of rich flavors, so you’ll want something to balance that out.
Next, you’re going to make the pesto gyerranmari, or pesto Korean omelet. You’ve watched me make gyerranmari dozens of times. The only difference to this is that I’m adding a thin layer of pesto on top of the cheese slices I usually add, to achieve the “pesto eggs.” Be judicious with the amount of pesto you add, as there is a not insignificant amount of oil in the pesto itself (which is why TikTok suggested that you literally fry your eggs in pesto). Besides, if the pesto is good, a little will definitely go a long way in terms of flavor here.
And then, of course, once the egg starts to cook, I start to roll the egg into the classic gyerranmari. Be patient and make sure the egg is cooked most of the way through before rolling. Once you’ve used up all your “egg,” you should have something that looks like this:
GREEN EGGS INDEED!!!!
Then, you just sandwich this baby up:
Top it with some tomatoes, a little salt and pepper, some arugula, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. This balsamic vinegar is VERY important. I made it the first time without and it didn’t taste nearly as good. The bright pop of acid is really what the sandwich needs in order to stand up to the richness of the pesto eggs.
Slice the sandwich up and enjoy! I did NOT know how this would turn out, but believe me, it came out beautifully. I’ve fed this sandwich to several people, including non-vegans, and they were absolutely AMAZED.
Pesto Egg Sandwich
- Add the oil to a small nonstick pan (it doesn't need to be a rectangular pan) over medium heat. Then, add 1/3 to 1/2 cup JUSTEgg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the egg starts to cook, add pieces of cheese over the top. Gently spread about 1 to 2 tablespoons of pesto over the cheese.
- When the egg is nearly completely cooked, begin rolling the egg from your right to your left, using a spatula or chopsticks, until the entire egg is rolled up. Gently push the "egg roll" back so that it's now at the right side of the pan.
- Pour another 1/4 cup of JUSTEgg into your pan and repeat (adding a little cheese and pesto). When the egg is just about cooked, roll the remaining portion up. Gently press the edges of the "egg roll" to make sure it is fully cooked.
- Place the omelet onto one slice of toasted bread. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, arugula, and balsamic vinegar before topping it with your second slice of bread.