So, these Golden Turmeric Baked Fries is what happens when you can’t eat French fries at every meal, every day for the rest of your life. Hi. My name is Joanne and I am addicted to French fries. I remember back when I was around 10 years old, my pediatrician warned my mother that I was gaining a little too much chub and I thus needed to cut down on the French fries. I spent that summer in Texas with my cousins, playing outside, eating mostly Korean food, and doing a lot of chores around my aunt and uncle’s house. I guess I must’ve lost some weight, because at my “end of summer before school starts” doctor’s visit, the same sobering physician with a brown mustache smiled kindly and said, “You can have French fries this month.”
I wanted to punch him in the stache.
French fries THIS MONTH?? LIKE ARE YOU KIDDING ME WHO EATS FRENCH FRIES ONLY ONCE A MONTH?
Sadly, when you become my age, with the metabolism of a frightened turtle, daily French fry consumption is a no-go. So, I came up with a healthified version of French fries that I could eat, if not every day, at least once a week (that’s 4x a month, Dr.). And the great news is, these are so delicious, I hardly miss my weekly trip through McDonald’s drive through (actually, haven’t eaten any fast food for 4 years, now!). I added a little turmeric to the recipe because turmeric is one of the best things you can put into your body and, as I always say, it’s not just about what you remove from your diet, it’s about what you add to it.
So, the next time you have a French fry craving, try this Golden Turmeric Baked Fries recipe! It’s easy, delicious, and you will love it.
- 5-6 Yukon gold potatoes I leave the skin on
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Preheat the oven to 475° F.
- Cut the potatoes into 1 inch thick wedges and place in a large pot.
- Submerge them in water and add 1 ½ tsp of baking soda.
- Bring water to a boil and cook until potatoes are fork tender (~15-18 minutes).
- Drain potatoes and place them back in the pot. Add two tbps of extra virgin olive oil and ½ tsp turmeric, along with salt and pepper (to help your body with absorbing turmeric).
- Place the lid back on the pot and shake the pot.
- Spill the potatoes out onto a baking sheet (two if necessary) so that they are spread out and in one layer (do not overcrowd).
- Place the baking sheet(s) in the oven on the lowest rack and cook for about 15 minutes. Flip the potatoes using a spatula and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Season with additional salt right before serving.