Cooking Time: 160 minutes
Recipe Difficulty: Intermediate
Servings Amount: 8
Recipe Lead: …for when you just finished watching When Harry Met Sally….
Pie Crust (vegan modification from Serious Eats)
- 2 1/2 cups (350 g) AP flour
- 2 1/2 sticks (280 g) Vegan butter (I prefer Miyoko’s* for this recipe)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 6 tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp soy milk
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup Adzuki bean paste** (aka, “paht”)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp melted vegan butter (cooled)
- 3 tbsp aquafaba (chickpea brine)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 cups chopped pecans (toasted)
- 2 cups whole pecans (toasted)
This is a vegan modification of the recipe by Serious Eats.
- Measure approximately 2/3 of the flour into your food processor. Add salt and sugar, and pulse a couple of times to sift all dry ingredients together.
- Cut butter into 1/4-inch “pats” and arrange over the flour in food processor. Pulse food processor until a thick paste forms.
- Add remaining flour and pulse until completely incorporated into paste.
- Remove paste from food processor and add to large bowl. Begin incorporating cold water (little by little) and mix with wooden spoon or hands until dough starts to form.
- Divide dough into half and form two discs. Wrap them separately in plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least 2 hours. [I left them there overnight.]
- Add white wine vinegar to soy milk and stir. Set aside for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add all ingredients (including soy milk mixture) to large bowl and whisk with hand mixer until smooth.
- Place in small sauce pot and cook mixture over very low heat until it thickens. Mixture should be the consistency of gravy when ready.
- Grease the bottom of pie pan with oil or oil.
- Roll out one disc of pie dough and place over pie pan, removing excess hanging off the sides. Crimp the edges with your fingers or a fork.
- Add toasted chopped pecans to the bottom of the pie pan, and then pour filling over the top.
- Arrange toasted whole pecans on top of filling in whatever design you like.
- Place pie in 400° F oven for 15 minutes. Then lower temperature to 375° F for approximately 30 minutes. If you are worried that pecans will start to burn, place foil over the nuts while the crust turns golden brown.
*You can buy Miyoko’s butter here.
**You can buy adzuki beans here.