Chocolate cake. It is the undisputed royalty of all desserts. Indeed, some (i.e., my boyfriend) have claimed that the chocolate cake renders all other cakes obsolete. Lucky for vegans, chocolate cake is NOT on the “no-no” list. In fact, my omni dog walker claims that my chocolate cake is the best chocolate cake he’s ever tasted. SO.
Here’s the thing. Every once in awhile, you want to shake things up. Add a bit of a TWIST. You know? So that the palate doesn’t get bored. So, I thought I’d make MINT chocolate cake. And then add chocolate chips. To make it the chocolatiest cake of all time.
And it worked.
GET READY FOR A CHOCOLATE FEST IN YOUR MOUTH HOLES.
Cooking Time: 120 minutes
Recipe Difficulty: Easy
Servings Amount: 12
Recipe Lead: For the most intensely chocolate cake you’ve ever tasted. With some bourbon-y mintiness for kicks.
- 1 1/2 cup (180 g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (185 g) sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (59 g) unsweetened cacao
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 shot espresso
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp mint flavoring
- 1/2 cup mini dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 can coconut cream
- Add vinegar to soy milk and set aside. This will be your vegan “buttermilk.”
- In the meantime, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to large bowl. Stir with whisk.
- In a separate bowl, mash banana. Add cacao, vegan buttermilk, oil, bourbon, vanilla, and mint flavor and stir.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir with whisk until well mixed.
- Add chocolate chips.
Pour into springform pan, lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350° F for 28-32 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- For frosting, heat up soy milk in microwave until hot. Pour over chocolate chips and begin stirring with whisk, until chocolate is completely melted. Let it cool.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and coconut cream (the thick part at the top/bottom of can, not the liquid stuff) to melted (and cooled) chocolate mixture and mix with hand mixer until smooth.
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes. Mix again with hand mixer.
- DO NOT FROST CAKE UNTIL COMPLETELY COOLED. Unless you want goopy frosting all over your cake.