Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Recipe Difficulty: Very Easy
Servings Amount: 8
Recipe Lead: …for when you get stuck making the sweet potato side for Thanksgiving and you want to knock their socks off….
- 6 large sweet potatoes (assorted)
- 1 fennel bulb
- 8-10 rainbow carrots
- 2 red onions
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 tbsp course sea salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Thoroughly wash all your veggies.
- Chop potatoes into large rough chunks.
- Chop fennel bulb into 1/8ths.
- Chop red onion into 1/8ths.
- Peel carrots (do not chop). Place all veggies into large bowl.
- Add olive oil, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and coriander to bowl. Grate fresh nutmeg into bowl. Mix with large wooden spoon or with hands, to make sure all veggies are evenly coated.
- Place veggies onto baking sheet lined with foil (which has been brushed with a little olive oil or sprayed with cooking spray) in a single layer.
- Place veggies into oven preheated to 400-425° F (depends on how much water content your potatoes have–if they start to leak a lot of fluids, jack up the temp).
- At around 30 minutes, flip the veggies so that both sides get an even cook.
- While veggies are roasting, toast pine nuts in a small pan over low heat (~5 minutes)–keep your eyes on them so they don’t burn!
- Remove from oven when the veggies are caramelized (around 45-50 minutes).
- Place veggies in large serving bowl, tray, platter (whatever you like!). Add sesame oil, vinegar, and pine nuts and stir gently with wooden spoon to make sure evenly coated with dressing.
- Serve and EAT!!!
Thanks so much to my friend Teri, @nocrumbsleft, for inspiring me to make this amazingly simple, healthy, and delicious dish!